05/07/2015: Protect Your Money While You Travel.
Whether your summer vacation takes you to the other side of the globe or just to the nearest beach, it’s always important to protect your money while you travel. Financial professionals agree that the safest and most convenient way to travel with your money is to only take a small amount of cash with you. It’s also a good idea to carry a debit, credit or ATM card. These cards are convenient while traveling because they are easy to carry, easy to use and often offer the lowest fees and the best exchange rates. Keep these helpful tips in mind when traveling.
- If you plan to use your Visa debit or credit card outside your normal spending pattern, please let us know. This includes travel within the United States and internationally. If you call us before you travel, we can make sure your account is not blocked unnecessarily, enabling you to travel with worry-free access to your Visa account.
- Carry a back-up card that you keep in a separate place. Families or couples may get even greater back-up coverage if each person takes a different card.
- Make copies of all the cards you’ll be carrying. Be sure to copy front and back of the card. Take a copy with you and give a copy to someone you trust back home. This way you’ll have all the information you need to cancel your cards if needed.
- Bring a list of emergency phone numbers, but remember 800 numbers can only be used in the United States and Canada. Be sure to get a number for your bank that you can call if you’re out of the country.
- Thoroughly check any ATM’s that you use; fraudsters are increasingly altering the facades of ATM’s in an effort to capture card data. Ensure the card reader does not look tampered with and pull on it to ensure it’s not a layover.
Remember, in the event that something unfortunate does happen, we are always just a phone call away, ready to help!